Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Living Room Designed With Love

Ever since we moved into our house, our living room has been somewhat awkward to us for some reason. Maybe it is the fact that there was a front door, but no real entry way, you just walked right into a big open living room with no real direction. Maybe it was the fact that the living room felt empty and very cold due to the lack of that cozy feel that we had hoped for.

Well with the help of my loving Mom, who has been collecting stuff in her basement since I was born, and Habitat for Humanity ReStore, we have now created two new spaces in our home. Notice that I said "Our Home" as opposed to our house? That is because after a year and a half of living in our house, it is finally starting to feel like our "Home"

So back to these new spaces that we created. Before when you walked into our home from the front door you walked into a big empty area which we didn't like. Now you walk into an entry way that was created by moving the couch from the long wall out into the middle of the room. Now one would think that pulling the furniture away from the walls makes a room look smaller, yet the room now feels larger and more cozy at the same time.

Welcome to our Home
This is the new entry way that we have created simply by moving the couch and creating a hallway of sorts from the front door to the rest of the house.


I knew that I wanted to have some sort of display for our personal pictures and when I found the idea of using an old ladder as a backdrop I just had to find one. I ended up finding one for super cheap that I mounted to the wall, then I used it to display pictures and a monogram frame that I created. I wanted to spruse it up a little bit and include some natural elements into our home so I used branches from our cherry tree. Now it is the middle of winter so there aren't any leaves on the trees right now, what you see is actually individual leaves that I glued onto the branch to give it a little more life.


I wanted some kind of entry table, but I wasn't really sure what look I wanted to go for. I stumbled upon an inexpensive cube shelf and did a little modification to it in order to make it more of what I was looking for. I added an extended table top along with four dainty legs to make it look more like a piece of furniture rather than an inexpensive big box store item. I ended up distressing the table top along with the actual cube shelf and then I used Mod Podge to apply wooden plank scrapbook paper to the shelves to make it look older than it really is.

By moving the couch to create an entry way we now had room to include an old Sleepy Hallow chair that had been sitting in my Mom's basement for the past 25+ years. It is the perfect addition to our home and despite a few cracks in the ottoman it is in really good shape. It really ties the room together blending old with new. The small white table we found at a local consignment shop and it is perfect for holding an old silver platter/wooden bowl/plant display blending all sorts of natural elements together. 

One of my favorite elements of our new living room is the addition of lots of living plants. They help make the room feel cozy, warm and add a pop of color on the stark white fireplace.

Our living room is filled with all sorts of family treasures, including the suitcases that were my Mom's and a wooden toolbox from my Grandfather, who was a carpenter, that now serves as the perfect remote holder.

This is one of the pieces I was most excited to find in a small little local shop. It is an old cabinet of some sorts, not really sure what it would have been used for, but we now use it as our TV stand. I don't care for the look of a TV, nor do I want it to be the focal point in the living room, so I put a nice frame around it to help hide it. The frame was just an inexpensive white plastic frame that used to hold a poster that was on our mantle, now it looks like old cracked wood thanks to Mod Podge and scrapbook paper. Please note, I broke the glass so it is missing in this picture.

Well that is about it for now. I am very please with how much our living room has changed and how little money it cost to do so. I am in love with Habitat for Humanity ReStore and will try to shop there for materials whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment